A cake smash session is one of the most fun and memorable ways to capture your baby’s first birthday. It’s an opportunity to capture the joy, excitement, and messiness of a special milestone in your baby’s life. However, cake smash photography requires special techniques and tricks to get the perfect shot. To ensure you get the best photos possible, here are 5 tips for a successful cake smash photography session. From choosing the right cake and decorations to setting the scene and capturing the perfect moment, these tips will ensure your cake smash session is a smashing success.
Choose the Right Cake
The cake is the centrepiece of any cake smash session and will likely be the first thing your baby grabs. It’s vital that you select a cake that is safe for babies to eat. Skip the chocolate and opt for a white or yellow cake with light icing so you don’t have to worry about any mess. If you’re still worried about the mess, you can opt for a cupcake smash instead. Cupcakes are also a great way to go for any toddler or preschooler who may be a little nervous about the whole thing. If you’re still worried that your baby may not get enough to eat, you can also offer them some other snacks and finger foods during the cake smash photo shoot.
Select the Perfect Outfit
Your baby’s outfit will play a big part in setting the tone, theme, and mood of your cake smash session. You have a few different options to choose from, including a cute romper, dress, or even a onesie, but the key is to make sure the outfit is easy to clean. You don’t want to spend the rest of the session having to worry about food stains or icing on your baby’s outfit. While your baby’s outfit is important, your choice of clothing shouldn’t be overlooked either. Make sure you wear something easy to clean and comfortable.
Prepare the Scene
The scene and setting for your cake smash photo shoot are just as important as your baby’s outfit. It’s your chance to set the mood and create a memorable environment that your photos will live on in your family’s photo collection forever. When setting up your scene, keep these tips in mind to help your cake smash session come to life.
– Choose a Cake Shop: The easiest way to get your hands on a delicious, mess-free cake is to go to a local cake shop and ask if they offer a cake smash service. If you are feeling ambitious and want to bake your own cake, make sure you have enough time to let it cool and settle so it’s safe for your baby to eat.
– Pick a Theme: Another way to set the mood is to pick a theme for your cake smash session. This can be anything from a sports-themed cake smash to a more whimsical unicorn smash. It’s a fun way to customize your session and make memories that will last a lifetime.
– Choose a Backdrop: Another easy way to set the scene for your cake smash session is to choose a backdrop for your photos. If you’re doing your cake smash indoors, a simple sheet backdrop will do just fine. Outdoors, you can use a wall or choose a scenic location that will make your photos pop.
– Choose a Time of Day: The final tip to help you set the scene for your cake smash session is to choose a time of day to do your photos. You have a few options, but the morning or early afternoon is often the best time to do your shoot.
Capture the Perfect Moment
The perfect moment to capture during your cake smash session is right when your baby grabs the cake. While it’s tempting to snap away before your baby gets his or her hands on the cake, you don’t want to miss out on the perfect opportunity. Once your baby starts getting messy, you can’t rely on the same techniques you used to create the other photos. To help you get the perfect shot, follow these tips.
– Use a Continuous Photo Mode: If you’re using a DSLR or other camera that allows you to take continuous photos, use it. Continuous photo mode is a great way to make sure you get the shot as it happens without having to worry about clicking and missing the moment.
– Take Your Time: Your cake smash session doesn’t have to be rushed. Take your time and plan to spend a few hours at your baby’s first birthday milestone photo shoot. It’s one of the most important milestones in your baby’s life, so you want to make sure you get the perfect photos to remember.
Keep it Clean
Finally, keep in mind that your cake smash photo shoot will likely end up messy. You may want to go with a tablecloth or other covering that you can easily remove or wipe away the mess at the end of the session. Make sure you have a plan for how to clean up the mess after your cake smash session. You don’t want to spend the rest of the day cleaning up your house. If you’re indoors, keep a few paper towels handy to wipe up any messes. If you’re outdoors, ensure you have a large stack of paper towels or cloths to help you clean up after your messy photo shoot. Once your baby’s cake smash session is over, make sure you keep the photos and cake smash keepsakes. You never know what will become a family heirloom. Cake smash photos are great keepsakes for your baby’s first birthday. And with these 5 tips for a successful cake smash photography session, you can rest assured that you’ll get some truly memorable photos to remember this special milestone.