Newborn photography is a unique and rewarding experience that captures memories of a special time in a family’s life. It takes a special skill set to capture those newborn moments in a way that is both beautiful and timeless. Professional newborn photographers understand the importance of making sure each photographed moment is meaningful and timeless. They also know the tips and tricks that can make the entire experience enjoyable for everyone involved. This article will discuss the best tips and tricks for professional newborn photography so that you can make sure each captured moment is as beautiful and timeless as it should be.
What is newborn photography?
Newborn photography is a type of portraiture that captures a baby’s first few weeks after birth. These photos often document the baby’s first moments for family albums and scrapbooks. In the past, parents often waited to take baby photos until the child was several months old. Now, more parents choose to have their newborn portraits taken as soon as possible after birth. Newborn photography sessions usually take place in a studio setting. Newborns cannot be posed the same way as older children, so photographing them in a studio setting allows for more control over lighting and other elements. These sessions usually last about two hours.
Reasons to hire a professional newborn photographer
There are many reasons to hire a professional newborn photographer. This includes everything from the technical skills and experience needed, to the environment and comfort needed to properly photograph a newborn baby. While you may be tempted to take photos of your new baby at home, it is best to hire a professional photographer who has the right experience and equipment to get the best photos possible. Here are some other reasons to hire a professional newborn photographer:
– A professional photographer will have the right equipment needed to photograph your newborn in a safe and timely manner.
– A professional photographer will have experience photographing newborns, so they know how to pose the baby for the best photos. They will know how to pose the baby safely and gently.
– A professional photographer will have the right environment and setup to photograph your newborn without causing any undue stress.
– A professional photographer will have the right experience and skills to properly retouch and edit the photos so they turn out the best they can.
– A professional photographer will have the right skills to properly pose and hold your baby for photos.
– A professional photographer will provide guidance and direction, so you can be sure the photos turn out just as you want.
– A professional photographer will have the right insurance needed for photographing newborns.
Tips for preparing for a newborn photoshoot
Before you arrive at the newborn photography session, there are a few things you can do to prepare. This will help ensure that the photo shoot runs as smoothly as possible. Here are some tips for preparing for a newborn photoshoot:
– Schedule the photo shoot at the correct time of day. Late morning or early afternoon are the best times to photograph newborns.
– Dress the baby in a comfortable outfit. If you’re unsure what to wear, ask the photographer what they prefer.
– Bring a blanket or swaddle to keep the baby warm and comfortable.
– Think about any props you want to bring (such as a basket or toy that has any special meaning to you).
The best lighting for newborn photography
The best lighting for newborn photography is soft and warm. This will help create a smooth and consistent look that is easy to retouch. Avoid using harsh fluorescent bulbs as they can create unflattering shadows on the face. Instead, use incandescent bulbs, which create a softer glow. If natural or incandescent bulbs are not an option, consider using a simple diffused light source such as a small lamp.
Editing newborn photos
After the photos have been taken, it’s time to edit them. The best thing to do is to hire a professional retoucher to do the retouching work. They will be able to make the edits as subtle or dramatic as you want. At the very least, you should use a simple editing app to improve the photos. Editing newborn photos are all about making sure that the eyes and face look their best. Here are some ways to edit newborn photos:
– Adjust the exposure. For the best results, shoot in RAW for the best exposure.
– Improve the contrast. Ensure the contrast is consistent throughout the entire set of photos.
– Sharpen and clean the photos
– Make the eyes and face as sharp and clean as possible.
– Adjust the white balance. Ensure the white balance is consistent throughout the entire set of photos.
Working with newborns safely
Newborns are very delicate and complex creatures. They aren’t able to sit up by themselves or hold their heads up until around 4-6 weeks old. While this may seem like a long time, it flies by quickly. Newborns do not remember anything that happens to them. This means that they don’t have the same emotional connection to photos as older children do. It is important to keep this in mind when photographing newborns. It is crucial to keep the entire experience as stress-free and comfortable as possible. This will help ensure the baby has a positive experience and the photos turn out beautifully. Here are some tips for working with newborns safely:
– Use a backdrop. A simple and consistent backdrop will make it easier to get the perfect shot every time.
– Avoid clothes with drawstrings. These can easily pose a choking hazard, so they are best avoided.
– Keep the baby warm. Newborns can get cold very quickly.