- What if my baby doesn’t like the cake?
Working with children you can always expect the unexpected. I cannot promise your baby will love the cake, and to be honest, some babies cry during the cake smash. However, I have many tricks that help your baby to enjoy the session and have fun, and I’m always able to capture cute and sweet moments of your little one. Remember the baby is just one year old and is often shy of exploring a new texture, shape or taste, especially when surrounded by adults making funny noises and clapping to egg them on. So, take away the anxiety. I suggest that parents practice at home, before the session, with a cupcake. This isn’t a foolproof solution but it has given me good results. By the way, a smaller portion may help uncover any allergies not known to parents earlier.
- My baby needs extra time to warm up, do I have to come earlier?
I understand some babies need extra time to warm up in a different environment and that’s totally ok. You don’t need to come earlier to your session, and if you do I probably won’t be ready yet, but if your baby needs more time we will have a longer session (and there is no additional fee for that). You only leave my studio once I have a full gallery for you.
- Do you provide the cake for the cake smash session? The client is responsible for ordering and bringing the cake. I recommend Ela The House of Cakes. She gives my clients a discount and she also delivers to my studio for an additional fee. You are welcome to bring your own cake from your favourite bakery as well.
- Can I bring a cake from the grocery store? I do suggest that parents get a professional cake. The results are much better. I know that the trend is to go large, but we don’t need a three-layer cake. A medium/small cake gets the same results at a reasonable price.
- Do I have to bring an outfit? I have some outfits available at the studio and you are more than welcome to use them. If you are doing family photos, I recommend that you bring some outfits on your own to coordinate with parents and/or siblings outfits.
- I don’t want my baby to eat cake, can we do a cake smash session without a cake? Absolutely! If you don’t want your baby to eat cake, we can simply do a birthday setup without a cake. Another option is to include something more natural, like fruits, and do what I call “Fruit Smash”.
- I would like to use these photos for my baby’s birthday party next weekend, can you send me some photos earlier? Please keep in mind that the whole process, from shooting to the delivery of the images, takes 3-5 weeks and no image will be provided before that. So if you want to display these images at your little one's birthday party, please book your cake smash session in advance.
- Can we include some bubble bath shots at the end of the session?
Absolutely! I love to include some bubble bath shots at the end of the session. This a great way to clean your baby after the mess, and also a good opportunity to capture some smiles (especially when the baby didn't like the cake).
- When is the best time to schedule a Cake Smash session?
I recommend booking your cake smash session 4-6 in advance so we have enough time to discuss the setup and I can order custom items if necessary. Although, if I have availability, cake smash session can be booked 7 days prior to the session and we use the setups that I already have available at the studio.
- My child has a small scratch/bruise or their face, is that ok? I know kids at this age are on the move! Lots of falling and tripping. If your child has a small mark on their face, do not worry as I am able to touch it up in Photoshop.
If you like to know more about prices and what is included in the Cake Smash Session, please visit the Investment page.
If you'd like to book a Cake Smash photo session, please don't hesitate to message me using our contact page.