Baby safety is always our top priority at Amanda Dams Photography. On this post, you will find some tips of things we do at my studio for handling a baby during a newborn photography session.
- Use an assistant (or ask the parents for help if you don’t have one) to spot the baby in all the setups – NEVER let the baby unattended!
- Sanitize your hands constantly throughout the session, clean the studio and wash all fabrics and accessories used before between sessions.
- Use a weight in the bottom of the bucket or basket, if you are using one for the photos.
- Don’t forget to always wear a neck strap around the camera, especially when photographing from above.
- Keep the studio warm, ideally around 27-29 degree Celsius.
- Don’t force a pose. Every baby is different and if they don’t like a certain pose, just move to another one.
- Make sure the baby is always comfortable and fed during the session.
- If you see the baby’s feet or hands turn deep red, blue, or purple, you need to readjust the baby or possibly move the baby to a different position.